- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Church of Saint Elizabeth
The Church of Saint Elizabeth in Caspoggio was built in the area of Pantanaccio between 1719 and 1721. There probably was a small chapel, since a date (1624) was found on the inner wall of the facade.
The fresco in the apse portrays on the background a tiny chapel close to a stable. Since Pantanaccio is quite far from Caspoggio, it is likely that the inhabitants of this small settlement had already built a chapel in the past.
The architectural structure is particularly interesting because of the pentagonal shape of the apse and the unusual L shaped bell tower. A porch built in the 60s has heavily affected the original architecture.
A beautiful fresco in the apse portrays the Meeting of Mary with Elizabeth, which dates back to the early 18th Century. During the first half of the 20th Century the artist Erminio Dioli from Caspoggio retouched or introduced new features: the altarpiece, the tabernacle and the antependium. Dioli also painted the vault of the presbytery.