- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Chiesa parrocchiale dei SS. Giacomo e Filippo
The ancient Church dedicated to Saint James was built by the Capitanei family around the 11th Century, most likely in the wake of the raising popularity of pilgrimages from the Northern regions towards Saint James of Compostela. The church was a rest area for those who walked along the path leading to the Muretto pass.
During the 14th century it was dedicated both to Saint James and Saint Philippe.
Following the Protestant reformation, an Evangelic community formed in Chiesa. They became very influential from a political and social point of view. For several years, the Church dedicated to Saint James and Philippe had to be shared with the Protestant community. In 1557 the government of the Three leagues forced the local communities to cede a temple to the Protestants. Where there was just one church, Catholics had to share it with Reformed Protestants.
This critical situation derived from the forced cohabitation of Catholics and Protestants became even harsher in 1579, when a landslide partially destroyed the church. After several years of decay, the church was rebuilt in 1644 by will of the new priest Carlo Rusca - Nicolò Rusca's nephew - the church was rebuilt and completed in 1668.
Next to the church there is the ancient Oratory of Saint Charles founded in 1689.
The liturgical celebration occurs on May 1st.