- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Church of St. Anthony
The church of St. Anthony the Abbot was built around 1673 in Pianaccio, on the initiative of the priest Giovanni Antonio Miotti, who bore all costs and built the church on his own land. In his will, he appointed his heirs as keepers of the church. In 1957 the heirs turned down the assignment, that passed on to the Parish.
The small church has a simple architectural structure, with a hut-shaped facade and a simple bell tower. The interiors are characterized by light coloured walls. The presbytery is the only decorated part, with a cross-vaulted ceiling painted with stars and cherubs inside plaster frames. The altarpiece portraying St. Anthony the Abbot is a copy of the original painting. The old altar was replaced in 2009 by a new altar made of serpentine slabs, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of the Snow with the Child. The side walls bear the prints depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross, made in 1800 by the Florentine printer Lorenzo Bardi.
Source - Ecomuseo della Valmalenco