Fusine is a town at the beginning of Valmadre, that once was the most important gateway to the Bergamasque region.
285 m a.s.l.
The name derives from fucine (forges), which refers to the presence of several iron mines.
The origin of the town dates back to the 14th Century, when group of Bergamasque who worked as iron miners and blacksmiths, settled here. After a period of decline, during the 17th Century, Metallurgic activities restarted in the 19th Century, when the population became renown for the production of farmers' and woodsmen' tools and even surgical instruments.
The frescoed churches of Saint Lawrence and the oratory of Saint Roch are worth a visit. In the "Civetta" district there is a house built in the Fifteenth century adorned with a fresco depicting the Virgin Mary with the Child using bright and vivid colours.
In the village of Valmadre, now unhinabited, there is the church of Saint Matthew the apostle, built in 1523. The economy of Fusine is traditionally based on farming, but recently the town witnessed the development of industrial activities linked to metallurgy and concrete processing.