- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Parish church of Saint Michael Archangel
Being located at the center of the town, at an elevation of 664 m a.s.l., the massive Parish Church of Saint Michael Archangel, can easily be seen from the SS38 road. The origins of this church date back to 1427, as written on the atrium of the parish home.
In 1688 the population was severy tested by a long period of famine . Nevertheless, citizens did not give up and rebuilt the Parish church, consecrated in ca 1780. Significant renovation works were carried out in 1888 and 1992, without changing the original appearance of the building.
Nowadays, it's still possible to see the ancient ossuary on the left side of the church, which still hosts the old balustrades and kneelers, writings dating back to the 17th - 18th century and a remarkable ancient organ. The frescoed vault of the sacristy is also worth a visit.